Monday, May 19, 2008

Jack = Naughty

Remind me to never brag about my dogs' maturity ever again.
You just know that kind of statement will come back to bite you on the ass - and usually within about 24 hours.

I seem to recall telling family over the weekend that the dogs had finally matured, and they don't really chew things up any more....

Of my three-pack, Jack has always been the one who really has to have a structured routine to his day, otherwise, he finds things to do to amuse himself. Generally the exact things that humans don't want dogs to do.

Bad things, like chewing up the kitchen floor.
Or shredding things.

And he's not above a little doggy blackmail...

He's latest trick to steal shoes or pens, parade around with the object, and eventually present them at my feet. You see, a month or two ago, I 'traded' a bone for whatever object he had in his mouth. Jack thinks this is a great game. Now, object in mouth = give me bone, now!

So, with all the family situation going on over the last few days, life has hardly adhered to Jack's usual routine. I've been gone a lot, and the dogs have been confined more than usual, and haven't had as much exercise. This morning Jack decided to take matters into his own paws by chewing up the corner of one of my new-ish cowhide pillows. Not the kind of thing that can be mended very easily, unfortunately. And this is a dog that is almost five years old!

Looks like it's time for a bit of doggie bootcamp....

3 comments:

Miss Janey said...

How do dogs always KNOW you've been praising them to teh world and react quickly to diffuse it???

Is the red guy a Rhodesian Ridgeback? Viszla?

They're both striking.

The Woodshedder said...

Amazing, isn't it?! Jack is (supposedly) a Doberman/Weimaraner mix. The red one in the background, Lucy, is a Redbone Hound. Ophelia, not pictured in this post, is a Great Dane.

Silly Monkey said...

Jack's a very handsome boy, indeed! Nice mix. He looks really tall.

I can't remember when my older dog stopped the chewing thing, but the two younger ones (15 and 19 months) are still chewing baseboards, drywall, doors, shoes...