Friday, July 18, 2008

Summer Parties and Being Girlie

I can't believe it's been almost a month since I posted anything!

A quick recap: My sister and BIL have had some ups and downs with BIL's health issues, but they seem to be managing for the most part. I spend time with them on the weekends when they don't have other relatives in town. My work has been very hectic and stressful lately, so clearly blogging has taken the back seat.

On a happier note however, one of my big, on-going projects at work has pretty much finished up, and Smithy and I were included in the guest list for a summer celebration of the the new pool pavilion. The client 's husband is, well, let's say he's a bigwig executive, so we got to mingle with a pretty posh crowd. And it's funny: beforehand I was a little anxious, but once we got there, we had a great time and met some interesting people. I guess that's the beauty of champagne as a social lubricant!

Of course, I had to channel my inner teenager, and completely obsess over what to wear. You would think that I was going to prom again, or that I had never attended a cocktail party in my nearly middle-aged my life! So this dress by Theory was one of my choices:


In reality, I'm not quite shaped like that model, so I went with something longer, and a bit quieter. Since I had been completely lazy, I decided to treat an unhemmed Tweeds sundress like a maxi dress (that's how short I am), and added some of my mom's circa 1970 chunky white plastic bangle bracelets.
I did teeter around in some similar shoes:
All in all, it was a beautiful summer night, the pool pavilion and surroundings looked great, and it was such a treat to be able to observe people using the space that we had helped design. It was a great feeling of accomplishment in the middle of a rocky month, and I will remain grateful for being a part of it.

1 comment:

Miss Janey said...

Sounds like a great time. Good to have you back.